In addition to the well planned and exciting curriculum
for each grade level, CEJE offers a Bar/Bat Mitzvah program with an original and fresh approach. Bar/Bat Mitzvah candidates
are each assigned to, and work with, a tutor. Along with their family, each Bar/Bat Mitzvah student meets with our Rabbi for
Torah study. There are several purposes
for this meeting:
- It gives the Rabbi and the student a chance to talk
about the meaning of becoming a Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- At this time it is ensured that each candidate is progressing
satisfactorily in understanding the service and his/her requirements.
- The student is given instruction on how to write a
drasha (short sermon) from his/her Torah portion.
- It is a time to ask questions about the service and
any other aspect of the process of becoming a Jewish adult.
- The Rabbi and student get a chance to know each other
in a warm and friendly atmosphere.
A short time after this meeting, the Rabbi will again
meet individually with each candidate and his/her family to discuss and help create a service which will be most meaningful
to their particular needs and religious orientation.
This personal attention to individual needs makes
each Bar/Bat Mitzvah at CEJE a unique experience. The whole family is invited to participate from beginning to end in this
joyous and beautiful Jewish traditon.